WHAT IT IS...

Hip Hop is how I define myself. Hip Hop did not start in the late 70's. It started long ago, undefined, from several points around the globe culminating into what we now call Hip Hop. Hip Hop is a way, a feeling, a thought. This blog reflects my Hip Hop.

Thank you for paying attention.



Saturday, October 25, 2008

Another senseless shooting...

So, I forget to buy dog food for the pets tonight and decided to walk back to Pathmark after just coming back from there a couple of hours ago. Lo and behold, what do I see when I arrive? Police tape, a Maxima full of bullet holes and a young girl crying out...asking if her daddy is going to be okay.

In all honesty, I don't believe Mt. Vernon, NY is totally lost to violence and senselessness. I do believe it's getting mighty close though. I'll spare you the cliched rhetoric about how we all need to come together and sing spiritual hymnals and pray for the best. Is that needed? Of course. It wouldn't hurt. What I feel is needed more than that is Mt. Vernon's citizens LITERALLY getting up, getting out and DOING SOMETHING about the violence that plagues this city. It's that simple. If you know something. SAY something. If you know something, DO something. Don't wait for YOUR loved one to get gunned down and then want to speak out about injustices and whatnot. Pitch in now and you never know whose life may be saved.

After leaving the scene, I continued on my quest for dog food. What struck me with the most irony is that "O-o-h Child" by The Five Stairsteps was playing through the speakers as I walked in the store. All I could do was roll my eyes in complete disgust...

This is becoming utterly ridiculous. Mt. Vernon used to be fun. What really is the point any more...?

UPDATE: Here's a link to the shooting's extensive news coverage. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

No comments: